Ever look over at your fruit bowl and realize your bananas have turned almost completely brown before you even had a chance to eat one? Looking for a quick recipe when you don’t necessarily have all of the ingredients on hand for the best banana bread ever? Good news: if you bake (from scratch) ever, you definitely have everything to make these muffins and feel like you didn’t waste food after all.
My first plan for baking today was to make some ice cream, but as my mom was heading out to work she pointed at the bananas (very brown) and said, “Do something with those.” Something turned out to be scrapping my ice cream plan and making muffins for my brother for breakfast. And not having to go to the store for anything!
First, whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas. Use a fork to stir in the oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin tins lined with papers. Bake at 375°F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.And that’s it! No frills banana muffins in about 30 minutes. Really can’t beat that for a quick breakfast.
Looking to get fancy? Add some pecans or walnuts and a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. But really, these are pretty good just the way they are. Sometimes you just want simple in your breakfast muffin.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas.
- Using a fork, mix oil, egg, and vanilla extract into bananas.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter between 12 muffin tins lined with paper.
- Bake at 375°F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.