Blackberry Lime Muffins
I really intended to make a pie today. It’s Pi Day, and it’s a Sunday, and Erik has been patiently waiting for me to make him a pie for six months. But then I remembered the important part about pie – you need to let the dough chill, preferably overnight, which wasn’t going to happen when I started looking at recipes at 1pm this afternoon.
The plan had been blackberry pie, so instead I made blackberry muffins. These were quick, made a little more interesting with some lime zest, and will hopefully be a good breakfast/snack/treat for the week.
Start by whisking together the flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the blackberries with a teaspoon of the dry ingredients.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and lime zest on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add the dry ingredients in two additions, beating well after each addition.
With the mixer running on low, slowly add the milk and beat until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed.
Add the berries and fold in gently using a spatula.
Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups.
Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the muffin tin before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
I really like to freeze muffins so I always have some kind of breakfast treat if I decide I need one. But when I suggested that to Erik, he scoffed at the idea that we couldn’t eat 12 muffins in a week.
Either way, if you’re looking for something to switch up your breakfasts, or if you bought blackberries thinking you had time to make pie only to realize that wasn’t feasible, these might be for you.
Blackberry Lime Muffins
- 2 cups (9 ounces) flour
- 1/2 cup (1.75 ounces) almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- Zest from one lime
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, almond meal, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, toss blackberries with 1 teaspoon dry ingredients.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar and lime zest on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer running on low, add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients in two parts, making sure to fully incorporate before adding second portion.
- With mixer running on low, slowly add milk and beat to combine, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Fold in the blackberries with a rubber spatula.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.