We had a very full weekend, and I’m very tired. We spent a lot of time biking around, in the sun, generally enjoying the outdoors, which means I’m sunburnt and ready to go to bed early. But also means I had so much fun, and there’s lots more to come – we’ve got camping trips planned for the next two weekends!
So for baking, I was kind of craving some kind of breakfast sweet all weekend. I thought about making pancakes, but then realized this was a blog opportunity, and ended up pulling out my Magnolia Bakery cookbook to see what breakfast pastries were available.
This recipe was originally for raspberry cream cheese breakfast buns, and should be made in a large muffin tin. I didn’t have a large muffin tin and Whole Foods was out of raspberry preserves. I decided to go for it anyway and used my mini bundt pan and blueberry preserves. I think raspberry would have been better (blueberry preserves have full blueberries and don’t swirl well, which I always forget until I try to actually use it) but they hit the spot anyways.
To start, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg until well combined.
Add the dry ingredients in two additions, alternating with the milk and vanilla extract. Beat until well blended.
Spray a mini Bundt pan with baking spray (different than cooking spray – it has flour in it). Spoon the batter into the pan, filling each well about 2/3 full. I was able to fill 5, but probably could have done all 6 based on how much they puffed.
Dollop the preserves on top of the batter. Use a sharp knife to try to swirl them down. I think if you are using mini bundt pans and want a cooler look, it would be better to do this in the middle of each bun (so fill well 1/3 full, add preserves, top off with remaining batter).
Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool 30 minutes in pan before turning out on a wire rack and sprinkling with confectioners sugar.
The cream cheese keeps these nice and moist, and if you have a fun mini bundt pan they almost look like little doughnuts. Either way, these were just the kind of sweet treat I was looking for this morning, even if the blueberries were all on the bottom.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Buns
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup blueberry preserves
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy on medium speed.
- Beat in egg.
- Add dry ingredients in two additions, alternating with milk and vanilla extract. Beat until well blended.
- Spoon batter into mini bundt pans sprayed with baking spray until each is 2/3 full.
- Dollop preserves over the batter. Use a sharp knife to marble the preserves.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes before turning out and sprinkling with confectioners sugar.