Happy birthday, Mom! Though last weekend we had your surprise party, this Friday was the real deal, so of course, despite our emergency trip for coconut cake, I had to make one more coconut recipe. This week, a Kathy Muncey special: chocolate coconut macaroons.
Now, my mom says she used to make these everyday after school growing up. And I can see why – they’re super quick, if you keep coconut in your pantry, you have all the ingredients, and they are delicious.
First, in a large bowl, stir together the coconut and sugar to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites, melted chocolate, and vanilla extract. Stir the chocolate mixture into the coconut mixture with a rubber spatula to coat. Using two teaspoons, scoop fifteen mounds of batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. And that’s it! The perfect after school snack. Store covered at room temperature, and these would be good for days. Or immediately.
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
- 7 ounce bag coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together coconut flakes and sugar until coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites, melted chocolate, and vanilla extract.
- Stir chocolate mixture into coconut mixture with a rubber spatula to coat.
- Scoop batter using two teaspoons into 15 mounds onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until macaroons are golden brown. Allow to cool 15 minutes on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.