A couple weeks ago, for Easter, I made carrot cake. And it was such a cool carrot cake. Very pretty, perfectly “Easter,” the whole deal.
But my dad was NOT impressed. “Carrot cake isn’t cake!” He declared. And refused to consume it.
And then I remembered I have a donut pan. The obvious answer? Cinnamon donuts!
First, in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, vegetable oil, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth.
Add the eggs and beat to combine.
Add the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla. Stir in with a rubber spatula to combine.
Add the flour in three additions, alternating with the milk, but beginning and ending with flour. Stir well after each addition.
Spoon batter into the donut pan. You’ll make 12 donuts with this recipe, so use half in the first batch, half in the second.
Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and leave in pan for 5 minutes.
While the donuts are still warm, shake in a bag with cinnamon sugar. The ratio for cinnamon sugar is 1/4 cup sugar to 1 tablespoon cinnamon, in case you are making your own (which you should).
Then, transfer the donuts to a wire rack to cool further.
With a donut pan, donuts are so quick! Store them in an airtight container, and DEFINITELY enjoy them with coffee in the morning.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, oil, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth.
- Add eggs and beat to combine.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla. Stir with a rubber spatula to distribute.
- Add the flour in three parts, alternating with the milk, but beginning and ending with the flour. Mix well after each addition.
- Spoon batter into donut pan sprayed with cooking spray. This will make 12 total donuts, so if you have a six donut pan, you’ll make two batches.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes in the pan.
- While warm, shake in a bag of cinnamon sugar to coat. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.