Today, I made coconut ice cream! My mom’s comment: are you trying to torture me or lure me into the city? The answer was lure, but she didn’t come, so now I have a tub of fresh ice cream in my freezer. Not a bad outcome.
First, toast the coconut. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, toss the coconut for about five minutes. transfer half into a small dish and set aside.
To the medium saucepan, add the sugar, salt, milk, heavy cream and coconut milk. Heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. About 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
While whisking constantly, pour about a third of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks slowly.
Whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the medium saucepan.
Heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the custard thickens to coat the back of a spoon. It will take 10 to 15 minutes, and the temperature of the mixture should get up to 170°F. Remove from heat and allow to steep for an hour.
After an hour, pour through a fine mesh sieve into another container. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
When ready to churn, pour batter into an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Churn until desired consistency, adding reserved coconut for last 2 minutes of churning.
And then freeze it!
Coconut Ice Cream
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 egg yolks
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, toast coconut until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove about half of the coconut from the pan and reserve.
- To the pan, add sugar, salt, heavy cream, whole milk, and coconut milk. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves – about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks.
- Slowly, while whisking constantly, pour about 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium low heat until thickens and coats the back of a spoon. The temperature should reach 170°F.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep for 1 hour. Strain through a sieve into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Churn ice cream in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add reserved coconut during final 2 minutes to incorporate.