Week three of Christmas cookies. After this, I’ve only got one more recipe to post. But you may have to wait for it – I’m beginning to really miss my weekly baking adventures, and think I’ll have to try something new this week.
Not that I haven’t been baking. I made a couple loaves of sourdough bread this morning. I just haven’t made anything new in awhile.
But this week’s recipe is fitting for the ridiculously cold weather we’ve been having the past couple of days. Because if you don’t already have a box of hot chocolate on hand, you should probably get some.
In fact, I just had some hot cocoa with my brother, who also may have been the biggest fan of these cookies when I made them a couple weeks ago. They taste just like the drink – they are definitely not just another fudgy cookie.
First, and a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, hot cocoa mix, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the batter in two additions and beat to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips and mallow bits.
Mallow bits are NOT mini marshmallows. Mini marshmallows will not work for this. I promise. Instead, you should buy the Swiss Miss Marshmallow Lovers box. The packets are divided in two parts: one half has cocoa mix and the other has mallow bits. These are what you want. Drop the dough by the rounded tablespoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Cool on sheet for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.If you REALLY love hot chocolate, you could dip these in hot cocoa, and be in your own personal heaven.
Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 4 packages hot cocoa mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup mallow bits
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat in, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Beat in vanilla extract to incorporate.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, hot cocoa mix, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to batter in two additions, beating to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips and mallow bits.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until browned on edges.
- Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.