Last week, I mentioned that I had made some pumpkin bread. Now that I’m back on the East Coast, where people are as obsessed with pumpkin as I am (I currently have a pumpkin spice candle lit next to my computer), it felt like a good time to post it! Pretty early in the SMiLes by Meg catalog I made a chocolate chip pumpkin bread, but I realized I hadn’t posted any just plain, high quality, pumpkin bread. I wanted a recipe that made its own spice mix, actually looked orange, and had some kind of crunchy topping. More importantly, though, I wanted to make mini loaves so I could give them out to people as gifts. This recipe achieves all of that!
And, as an added bonus, it used the entire can of pumpkin puree, so you don’t have to try to come up with ways to use the extra that there always seems to be when you start making pumpkin recipes in the Fall. You’re welcome.
First, in a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, eggs, and sugar until smooth. Then, whisk in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Your very own pumpkin pie spice! Finally, use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour. Pour the batter evenly between five mini loaf pans. You should be able to find a five pack at the grocery store – very convenient. In a small dish, mix together a tablespoon of sugar with a teaspoon of cinnamon. Spoon the mixture over each loaf to cover. Bake at 350°F for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I’d start checking the loaves at 30 minutes, but they could take awhile from that point, so don’t freak out. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack in the loaf pans. Cover, tie with ribbons, and distribute to your new best friends!
Mini Pumpkin Bread
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, vegetable oil, eggs, and sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves to combine.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour until incorporated.
- Divide batter between 5 mini loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a small dish, combine 1 tablespoon of sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to make a topping. Sprinkle over each loaf to coat.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center of the loaves clean.
- Allow to cool on wire rack.