The best-tasting treats are not necessarily the prettiest things I make, even if that rainbow cake was pretty delicious. No, they’re the dump-everything-into-a-bowl-and-hold-it-together-with-chocolate recipes. They’re quick to make, clean out your pantry, and give you just the right amount a sweet and crunchy.
Take this Mint Chocolate Pistachio Fridge Cake. Maybe you have chili chocolate, or salted chocolate in your kitchen. That’s fine – use that instead! Or maybe pistachios aren’t your thing, but you’ve got pecans and walnuts. Perfect! And maybe you’re someone that just doesn’t like rum-soaked raisins (I can’t imagine why). Try whiskey-soaked dried cherries. This recipe is SO flexible.
To start, put the two chocolates, butter, karo syrup, and salt in a heatproof bowl and place over simmering water. The bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. Stir constantly until melted and smooth.
I poured it into a larger bowl for this next step, but if your heatproof bowl is big, no need to do so.
Now, add in the graham crackers, rum raisins, and about 3/4 of the chopped pistachios. Stir to coat.
Spread the chocolate mixture into an 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper. Smooth the top as much as possible.
Sprinkle the remaining pistachios over the top and allow to cool for 10 minutes at room temperature.
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or until ready to cut and serve.
I don’t have any cut pictures for you, because I’m serving this tomorrow night at dinner, but I promise you, it will be delicious and fudgy and crunchy and salty and sweet. All of the good things.
Mint Chocolate Pistachio Fridge Cake
- 3.5 ounces mint dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 8 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raisins, soaked in 2 tablespoons rum for 30 minutes
- 6 ounces graham crackers, broken into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon pistachios, chopped
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine mint chocolate, dark chocolate, butter, corn syrup, and salt. Set over simmering water and stir constantly until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat. Add raisins, graham crackers, and 3/4 of the pistachios. Stir to combine.
- Spread batter into an 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the remaining pistachios over the top.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes at room temperature. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours before cutting into bars and serving.