Happy birthday week, Mom! Yesterday, we kicked off the festivities with a surprise party for her. I think, miraculously, we actually pulled it off, and it was great to see so many people come out to celebrate such an amazing woman. Today, we kept the party going with some coconut baking: Morning Glory Muffins.
Anyone that knows my mom knows she loves coconut, so it wasn’t really surprising that when I asked her for a recipe to make, coconut had to be the key ingredient. My only real criteria for a recipe is that it won’t be in my apartment with me alone, so I was happy to make anything today (these are staying in Duxbury).
More surprising was the fact that not a single cookbook in my Mom’s kitchen had a recipe for morning glory muffins. Including a cookbook cleverly named “Muffins”. I was sure they were a classic. I’m still sure they are. Oh well, good old New York Times saved the day.
First, in a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, brown sugar, and eggs until smooth. Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, and half of the walnuts and raisins. Stir in the melted coconut oil. Add the dry ingredients and fold in until just combined. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners, and divide batter evenly between 12 cups. They will be a little over-full, which is fine. They don’t rise too much. Top the batter with the remaining half of the walnuts and raisins. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tins on a wire rack, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. These are pretty good warm, and I think would be even better with a little butter. Store them at room temperature, covered, or freeze and reheat later.
Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot (from 2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup shredded apple (from 1 medium apple)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, packed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, divided
- 3/4 cup raisins, divided
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, brown sugar, and eggs until smooth.
- Stir shredded carrot, apple, and coconut into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in half of the walnuts and raisins.
- Stir in the coconut oil.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Divide batter between 12 muffin tins lined with paper liners. Sprinkle remaining walnuts and raisins on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.