Good thing it’s Daylight Savings Time, or I wouldn’t have gotten this blog post up in time! I was really torn about whether to bake this week, because I made some chocolate cupcakes with butterscotch filling last week, and had been kind of planning on using those. But then I decided that since the base chocolate cupcakes were the same as ones I have made in the past, I couldn’t use a slight variation on them. Instead, at around 6pm today, I asked my roommate for some ideas on desserts I could make quickly, and she recommended Rice Krispie Treats. Since I’ve made a couple other variations before (including these awesome cake batter ones), I wanted to make them at least a little interesting. Enter Nutella.
First, in a big saucepan over medium low heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the big marshmallows and melt, stirring frequently, until they’re a bit gooey. Add in the Nutella and continue melting over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth. Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter and stir to incorporate. In a large bowl, fold the marshmallow mixture into the Rice Krispies. When just combined, add in the mini marshmallows and continue folding in to incorporate. Press the mixture into a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Use a rubber spatula sprayed with cooking spray to smooth into a single layer. Sprinkle with half of the chopped pecans. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Top with remaining pecans. And then let set either in the fridge or at room temperature! 10 minutes of work and you’ve got dessert. When ready to serve, cut into squares. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Add in 10 ounces of marshmallows and stir to continue melting.
- When melting about halfway done, add in Nutella and continue stirring over heat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a large bowl, fold Nutella mixture into Rice Krispies until just combined.
- Stir in mini marshmallows.
- Press mixture into cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray using a rubber spatula also sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with about half of the chopped pecans. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Top with remaining pecans.
- Allow to set at room temperature.