For my last in this year’s Christmas cookie series, I bring you something a little fruity to round out your cookie boxes: orange spritz cookies. Everything in my box so far had been either chocolate or butter or ginger or some other traditional warm flavor and I wanted a fruit counterpoint. Usually you can do this with some thumbprints, but I really am not a huge fan of jam cookies (other than hamantaschen). I prefer cookies that rely on the zest of a fruit. I also prefer cookies that let me use my cookie press. These checked both boxes.
First, in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, cream cheese, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Next, add the orange zest and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
Finally, add the flour and salt and beat on low speed until dough comes together.
Working in batches, put the dough into a cookie press and press cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet. If you don’t know what a cookie press is, check out this other post where I made spritz cookies (without the orange) – it is a great seasonal baking tool to own.
Sprinkle with some colored sugar and bake at 375°F for about 7 minutes, until cookies are golden.
Yet again, I seem to have just stopped taking pictures of the process on this recipe, so apologies for not showing the finished product. I’ll make my blog New Year’s resolution to be more diligent about my baking photography.
Anyways, these keep well in an airtight container at room temperature.
Orange Spritz Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- colored decorating sugar
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, cream cheese, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add orange zest and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Add flour and salt and beat on low speed until dough comes together.
- Using a cookie press with shape of your choice, press cookies one inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for about 7 minutes, until golden brown. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool.