Summer has this really annoying way of seeming like it stretches on forever until all of a sudden the other end of it is almost here and you’re running out of time. Last weekend, my mom and I were casually browsing travel books while we planned our trip. Today we are in a position, two weeks from being in London, where we should really have hotel accommodations booked.
Adding to the impending end of summer, I moved all of my furniture into my new apartment this weekend, which was really exciting. A brand new kitchen for SMiLes by Meg! I love setting up and putting things in order, so I can’t wait to have it all put together. But this excitement made me realize just how close law school is (a good thing), and therefore the end of summer (not my favorite thing).
Anyways, it just always seems like summer is a season that starts out with so many ideas and things to do, and ends before you can get them all done. But on that note, there is one thing I definitely can still do this summer: finally address the backlog of recipes you have been sending me! I get them all and have them filed away in my email, I promise, even if I haven’t responded to you. They will be appearing in the next couple of weeks!
Before that, though, I needed to try to recreate some cookies I had while moving in this weekend. We were in the North End looking for a quick lunch, and stopped in a coffee shop. The sandwiches were fine, but they had these pistachio cookies right at the register that we got on a whim (unloading a UHaul warrants baked goods), and those were really good, mostly because I’ve never seen a pistachio cookie before. So when I got back home, I turned to Pinterest and was able to piece a recipe together.
Then add the egg and water and beat until smooth and fluffy. This will take a little while. Add the baking powder, salt, pistachio pudding mix, and vanilla extract and beat to combine.Stir in the flour and chopped pistachios with a wooden spoon. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons about two inches apart. Flatten with the bottom of a glass.Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes, until the edges are golden. Allow to cool briefly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.First impressions from my tasters (read, my brother and cousin) is that these cookies are definitely on the cakey side, and pleasantly light. I had initially planned on dipping them in dark chocolate (because everything is better with dark chocolate, let’s be real), but I occasionally do think it’s important to have a light dessert option for summer.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 packages pistachio instant pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pistachios, roasted and unsalted
- Beat the butter, sugar, and vegetable oil in a large bowl using a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add the water and egg, beating until fluffy and smooth.
- Add the pistachio pudding mix, vanilla extract, salt, and baking powder, beating until combined.
- Stir in flour and chopped pistachios with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, about two inches apart. Flatten with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool briefly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.