If you’ve known me at any point in my life, you know that a constant is my all time favorite dessert: magic bars. I’ve shared my favorite recipe for them before, and even tried some seasonal variations, but I haven’t made any since COVID started because I know myself and my complete lack of self control. If I made a full pan of magic bars, I would eat a full pan of magic bars.
Then, this weekend, Alexandra sent me a recipe for a salted caramel pretzel version that looked great, and reminded me that I was really missing a good magic bar in my life. Also that Super Bowl was a good reason to make a fun dessert. I didn’t make the salted caramel pretzel version this time (Erik is very upset that this was an option and I didn’t choose it), but next time I can have people over that will take them home with them I’ll give them a go.
This week, I went with Hummingbird High’s small batch version. Just 6 magic bars, which is a much healthier number to consume than a full pan. Plus, I love any excuse to use my tiny baking sheet.
Start by toasting the pecans. Spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, until fragrant and beginning to brown, giving them a stir every 3 minutes or so.
In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs.
Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or a 1/8 baking sheet if you have one. Spread the graham cracker crumb mixture over the bottom and press firmly into pan.
Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top. This recipe uses 1/2 a can, so you can make six more magic bars when these ones disappear. Use an offset spatula to spread evenly to edges.
Sprinkle half of the chocolate and half of the coconut over the condensed milk.
Chop up the pecans and sprinkle all of them over the mixture.
Sprinkle the remaining chocolate and coconut over the top.
Bake at 350°F for 22 to 24 minutes, until edges begin to crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. After 15 minutes, run a butter knife around the outside, then let cool completely before cutting the bars.
So easy that you still have time to make these before the game starts.
Small Batch Magic Bars
- 1/3 cup (43 grams) pecans
- 2/3 cup (85 grams) Graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup (198 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (85 grams) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (28 grams) sweetened flaked coconut
- Spread the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Toast at 350°F for 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press mixture into a 9×5 loaf pan (or 1/8 sheet pan) lined with parchment paper.
- Use an offset spatula to spread sweetened condensed milk over the crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle half of the chocolate and half of the coconut over the sweetened condensed milk.
- Roughly chop the pecans and sprinkle on top next.
- Distribute the remaining chocolate and coconut over the top.
- Bake at 350°F for 22 to 24 minutes, until the edges are golden. Allow to sit 15 minutes in pan before running a butter knife around the edge. Allow to cool completely in pan before slicing into bars.