November might be a weird time to make s’mores-themed things, but I think campfires carry into the fall. Also, my running offer is that any first year (or I guess we’re now second years?) in the corporate group at work can request whatever they want for their birthday. Taylor wanted something s’mores, and these blondies looked like the best way to accomplish that.
Start by pulsing the graham crackers in a food processor until they are finely ground.
Add the flour, baking powder and salt and pulse a couple more times to combine.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat on medium speed to incorporate, scraping down the bowl between additions.
Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine.
Add the graham cracker mixture and mix on low just to bring together.
Stir in 6 ounces of the chopped chocolate.
Spread the batter in a 9×13 pan lined with parchment paper. Make sure to press evenly onto bottom of pan.
Bake at 350°F on a rack in the lower third of the oven for 30 minutes, until the edges are golden.
Sprinkle marshmallows over the surface and return to rack in the top third of the oven and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes, until the marshmallows start to turn golden.
Sprinkle the remaining chocolate over the top of the marshmallows and return to oven for anouher 2 minutes, melting the chocolate.
Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes. Then, use a sharp knife to cut into 12 bars.
And that[s it! The gooey chocolatey goodness of a s’more, but also with the added bonus of a cookie-type base.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 9 whole graham crackers
- 1 1/4 cups (160 grams) flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (220 grams) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (150 grams) mini marshmallows
- In a food processor, pulse graham crackers until they form a fine powder.
- Pulse in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, dark brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the graham mixture and beat until dough just comes together.
- Stir in 3/4 of the chopped chocolate.
- Press dough into a 9×13 pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes on a rack in the lower third of the oven, until golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle marshmallows over the top. Return to a rack in the top third of the oven and bake for 6 to 8 additional minutes, until marshmallows puff up and start to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining chocolate over the top. Return to oven for 2 minutes to melt chocolate.
- Allow to cool for 45 minutes in pan on a wire rack before slicing into bars.