Two breakfast posts in a row! Obviously, I’ve been a little selfish lately, making things that I actually end up eating instead of pawning off on my friends. Don’t worry – next week’s Halloween treat is 100% for other people. But until then: Spiced Waffles.
This recipe has been a long time coming. Erik’s roommate (Hi, Emil!) has a waffle press, and for the past year I’ve been saying I’d make waffles. Instead, I made things like pancakes and bread. Good alternatives, but definitely not waffles.
So this weekend I decided to finally follow through. But I didn’t want to make just plain waffles. That didn’t seem exciting. I wanted something more Fall-ish. With cinnamon. And nutmeg. And brown sugar. Thus: spiced waffles.
Fortunately, these come together really fast, and would be even faster if you used a hand mixer instead of your actual hand with a whisk.
First, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until smooth. In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. If you do end up doing this by hand, find yourself a man who will switch out with you on whisking duty to get it done faster. (Thanks, Erik!) Fold in the egg whites in two additions until just combined. Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions. Spoon about 1/3 cup of batter into each well and cook until golden brown. Take lots of pictures from lots of different angles until your hangry breakfastmates insist you’re being extra. Then, spread on some good butter, drizzle with maple syrup, and dive in.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.
- Add dry ingredients to egg yolk mixture and whisk until smooth.
- In a second medium bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter in two additions.
- Add batter to preheated waffle iron, 1/3 cup per well, and cook until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack over a baking sheet and keep warm in oven until serving.