This is it. It’s cookie baking weekend. And it has been a GREAT cookie baking weekend. I made my standards (Sugar Cookies and Gingerbread Men), but also made some new ones. This week I’m sharing with you the triple chocolate cookies, because they should 100% be the cookie you bring to parties for the next couple weeks. I also made some crystallized ginger sugar cookies and homemade pocky, but you’ll hear more about those later.
Other than baking cookies, I surprisingly fit a lot in. My mom and I went to a craft fair, and then had wine and cheese at Eataly. I went down to Duxbury and got my hair done (thanks, Karen!). I finished Christmas shopping, and I made some soup for dinner!
But, since I still have one more cookie-related thing to do tonight (my gingerbread men need to be iced), I’ll get right to the baking here.
Start by whisking together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat on low speed to combine.
Add the dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed until dough comes together. It will be very sticky.
Add all of the chocolate at once. I used a mix of different chocolates here, based on recommendations from Hummingbird High. Those chocolates were Whole Foods dark chocolate baking chunks, Guittard milk chocolate wafers and Valrhona white chocolate feves. Beat on low speed until evenly distributed.
Scoop the dough into balls about 3 tablespoons each, and place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Press 5 different chips into the top of each ball. This will make the chocolate more visible, and is the secret to good instagram cookie pictures.
Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes, until the tops are dry. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Don’t those look amazing? Spoiler: they also taste amazing.
Triple Chocolate Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups (10.5 ounces) flour
- 3/4 cup (2.25 ounces) Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (7.5 ounces) dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (4.5 ounces) dark chocolate baking chunks, plus more for topping
- 3/4 cup (4.5 ounces) milk chocolate Guittard wafers, plus more for topping
- 3/4 cup (4.5 ounces) white chocolate Valrhona feves, plus more for topping
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with he paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar and dark brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat on low speed to combine.
- Add dry ingredients and beat until dough comes together. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the chocolate, all at once, to distribute.
- Scoop dough into 3 tablespoon balls and place about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press 5 assorted chips into the top of each cookie.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes, until the tops are dry and edges browned. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.