Today is my last blog post of 2014, and what a year it has been. There have been a lot of changes, both good and bad, and, honestly, I’m kind of ready to leave it behind. A new year always holds such promise for fresh starts and trying new things, and I could use that right about now.
One resolution that affects you, my readers, is that SMiLes by Meg will have a new home sometime early in 2015! For Christmas, my brother got me a new domain name (website, for anyone who doesn’t do that stuff), and as soon as I have the time to figure it out, I’ll be building that new site and transferring to it full time. Don’t worry, I’ll let you know when that switch is going to happen!
Anyways, for my last post of the year, here’s one more cookie from my cookie tins that could realistically be made for the rest of the winter – and would also be great for New Year’s Eve: White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies!
First, chop eight ounces of white chocolate into chunks. Set four ounces aside for later use. I used Ghirardelli, but Lindt makes a good baking bar, too.
In a large bowl, beat butter with a hand mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.
Stir in the peppermint chunks and white chocolate chunks. I used candy cane pieces that I found at Michael’s, but you could also just crush up candy canes or use the Ande’s peppermint pieces as well.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. I think these would be especially good with hot chocolate, but they are pretty delicious on their own.
White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 8 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup chopped candy canes
- Melt 4 ounces of white chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Beat butter on high speed in a large bowl using a hand mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and baking powder and beat until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and continue to beat.
- Add melted white chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Add flour and beat until incorporated.
- Stir in remaining white chocolate chunks and peppermint pieces.
- Drop by rounded spoonful on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden at edges. Cool completely on wire rack.