This is a recipe I’ve been excited to make since getting the Sweet by Ottolenghi cookbook. I started saving tin cans as soon as I saw it, and finally had an extra banana and some time to give it a go.
And I’m so glad I did – this is like banana bread but better. There’s banana. There are walnuts. AND THERE ARE DATES. Which I love, and think make all things better.
So this one starts by briefly toasting the walnuts. Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Next, combine the chopped dates, brown sugar, butter, and water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter and sugar are melted.
When the butter melts, turn up the heat and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts boiling, remove from heat and put in a large bowl to cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, you should put together the tin cans for baking. Line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper, then the sides as well, leaving about an inch sticking out over the top.
Add the baking soda, egg, banana, and vanilla extract to the date mixture. Stir in with a wooden spoon.
Stir in the walnuts, and then stir in the flour and salt.
Spoon the batter into the three prepared tin cans. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 35 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the tins. Then use the parchment paper to pull them out and allow to cool on a wire rack.
And that’s it! Three loaves of cake, each infinitely sliceable, and maybe even something I could convince myself was breakfast.
Banana, Date & Walnut Tin Can Cake
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 7 ounces Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (200g) light brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (200g) self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Put the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Combine the chopped dates, light brown sugar, butter, and water in a medium saucepan and heat over low heat until the butter and sugar melt. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook until it begins to boil.
- Remove from heat immediately and pour into a large bowl to cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, prepare the tin cans by lining with parchment paper.
- When the date mixture is cool, add the baking soda, egg, banana and vanilla extract and stir until combined. Stir in the walnuts.
- Add in the flour and salt and stir until combined. Spoon batter into the three tin cans.
- Place the tin cans on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 35 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes on the baking sheet. Then use the parchment paper to pull out the cakes and allow to cool on a wire rack.