If you follow my Instagram (@smilesbymeg), you know that I made a LOT of cookies this weekend. If you don’t follow my Instagram, you really should start. I’ll post the recipes over the next couple of weeks, but first up (by vote of my Instagram followers): Nutmeg Teddy Bears!
Every year in my cookie boxes, I like to make at least one with my cookie press. And every year when I do make a cookie press cookie, I remember that i have presses for every season of the year that isn’t Christmas, too, swear I’ll make more, and then don’t. Maybe 2021 is the year.
As a quick aside, I owe a big thank you to Erik for making cookie weekend so great. He listened to hours of Christmas music with me, let me tell him I thought the best way for us to make cookies together was for him to stay out of the kitchen, and then packed up a bunch of boxes on his bike and rode around DC with me delivering treats to friends. He really is the best.
Anyways, as a cookie press cookie, you do actually need a cookie press for these. I have the OXO one, and have for years, though it’s starting to break down a bit. It did fine making these cute little bears, though!
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 30 seconds.
Add the 1 cup of sugar, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and beat until combined.
Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
Add the flour a little bit at a time, beating after each addition, until fully incorporated.
Fill the cookie press and press onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
In a small dish, combine 1 tablespoon of sugar with a dash of nutmeg. Sprinkle over the cookies.
Bake at 375°F for about 8 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
I think these are the cutest cookies. They keep in an airtight container for a long time, but also are tiny, so you may or may not eat them faster than you intend to.
Nutmeg Teddy Bears
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar + dash nutmeg for finishing
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking powder and nutmeg and beat to combine.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat to incorporate.
- Add flour, a bit at a time, beating until full incorporated.
- Scoop dough into a cookie press and press onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 8 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.