Happy Father’s Day! My dad likes lemon meringue pie, but I’ve made that before, so I decided to try to make something in the same family. Boston is in a heat wave (it is so hot out), and I initially wanted to make something no bake. However, when I found these, they seemed perfect – quick to make, didn’t have to buy many ingredients, and in the general family of lemon squares (but lime!).
Start by making the graham cracker crust. In a medium bowl, toss together the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs and sugar until the texture of wet sand.
Press the mixture into an 8×8 pan lined with tin foil, pushing into the sides and bottoms.
Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. While baking, prep the filling. Whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, lime zest, lime juice and egg yolks.
When the graham crust is ready, pour in the filling, spreading the top even with an offset spatula. Return to oven for 15 minutes, until edges are set and middle is still a bit wobbly.
Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, carefully use the tin foil to pull out the bars and peel it back. Slice into bars using a serrated knife run under hot water for 30 seconds and then dried off (this lets you get clean edges).
So easy! Store them in the fridge. Eat plain or with just a touch of whipped cream.
I think I need to start coloring lime desserts with a little bit of green food coloring – the cognitive dissonance of eating a yellow dessert that tastes like lime could be avoided that way.
Lime Curd Bars
- 1 1/2 cups (5.25 ounces) graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 egg yolks
- Start by making the crust. In a medium bowl, toss together the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar until the texture is wet sand.
- Press the mixture into an 8×8 pan lined with tin foil. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, lime zest, lime juice and egg yolks until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the graham crust and use an offset spatula to smooth the top. Return to oven at 350°F for another 15 minutes, until edges are set and middle still wobbles a bit.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Slice into bars.